Tuesday 18 November 2014

Phones and Canines

One of the latest originals to grace the mixing board in the studio has both a reggae and swing feel. And I would describe the lyrics as an adult version of Harry S. Miller's comic children's song 'The Cat Came Back'. Woody's lyrics tell a story of a girlfriend who tries to return after leaving him with the idea that everything will be back to normal. However the boyfriend moved on with his life and has since concluded the the girlfriend was not the best house-guest. 
This one has been the most troubling for me as it reflects some work of The Police but has elements of a blues shuffle and 50's - 60's swing. For weeks now I have been listening to the bed tracks that have only guitar, bass and vocals and still do not have a clear idea of how I want to approach it. I have run through it in my mind thousands of times and on the kit tens of times. But maybe that's the problem - I haven't played along with it enough to breathe with it. I really need to spend some time with the headphones and kit, go through it again and again. 

I have been able to lay down and finish tracking the drums for two other originals in recent weeks. These tunes each have different grooves, their own styles that make them stand alone. These aren't the swingy shuffle style,  but instead draw their sounds from different eras again. One from the hard rock days, when The Who, Led Zeppelin and the like were gracing the turntables and the other from a more modern time, a time when you could turn on the radio and here U2, Phil Collins, and that crowd. In both cases, there are so many things a drummer can do, or not do to put his stamp on the song. Woody provides plenty of interesting and fun phrases that capture my imagination, making this my most creative album. It also reflects all of the techniques I have been focusing on in practice. Listening back to the track after recording, I found that there were parts I couldn't believe I had played. There are a few gems, subtle drum licks that I never thought I would be able to play well enough to record but end up sounding good and fit nicely. 

I have to thank M-C-Tittie-M again for plugging us on their recent podcast. The episode 'Good Good Friends' published on the 9th of November, includes a couple of call in guests. The first guest is a writer who has a couple of cool stories and is promoting a new book. The second caller is our own Woody. He makes the guys laugh while promising to punch Lance in the throat for 'The Little Lady'. They open the podcast with the full track of our song 'Friends'.  Thanks to Matt and Corey. Listen to them at http://www.spreaker.com/user/mattandcorey

 On the farm there's been plenty to gab about, but our big event of the year was the barnyard makeover. A couple of guys with heavy machinery removed about a half acre of mud and wasted hay in the winter pen and replaced it with rocks and sand. And like any good makeover, it really improved the look of the place. I think the animals liked it too, but they pooped on it anyway. 

From this:
 To this:

For more on this, check out the Farm's Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/rovingwindsfarm  

No comments:

Post a Comment