Friday 27 January 2012

An Image

Part of my quest this year is to improve my playing, but another part is to improve my image as a drummer, or more appropriately, create one. I need a good stage presence, which should include what I wear, how the drumkit looks and how I look when I am playing.
I took a shopping trip to Guess clothing store looking for something to wear on stage. I found a couple of shirts that might be OK. I'll post pics and hopefully get some opinions. My wife thinks they make me look like a cowboy from the movie Brokeback Mountain. That's not what I am going for though, so... more work to do.
Another trip to Yorkdale didn't get me any further. While I am contemplating this, I think of Rush and all of the stage wear and 'looks' they went through in the early years. Geddy Lee said that in those days he wish he could just wear jeans and a t-shirt (taken from Beyond the Lighted Stage documentary). The members of Rush are now doing just that, wearing T-shirts and jeans, not a costume. For me, I'd like to build an image that makes me recognizable when I am playing, but I don't want to have to wear the same shirt everytime. Its gotta to be more than that. My playing style and my kit will need to be my brand but I still need to wear something a little unique. Maybe I should get some fake glasses. A hat can be something I can turn into a symbol of my brand. I just can't find one I like.

I think the most important aspect of my image is the quality of my drumming.  A fancy drumkit and hat is definitely not enough. I have some experience and a solid foundation, but I need to enhance and expand my playing. I also think that as I create an image, I need it to reflect my playing style.
I am stuck on the word 'groove'. You've probably noticed that I use it when describing a song or a musician. I like songs with groove, I think, but what is groove?
I have my own opinions on the word but I am interested in how others describe it.
On the Wiki site I found this definition (among others):  Peter Forrester and John Bailey argue that the "chances of achieving this higher level of playing" (i.e., attain a "groove") is improved when the musicians are "open to other's musical ideas", "complemen[t] other participant’s [sic] musical ideas", and "taking risks with the music"
This is the one that appeals to me most. I think it takes a lot of experience and mileage on the drums to be able to groove. I also think it helps when the musicians you are playing with have as much experience.
'Groove' is going to be the word I use as my mantra  - on the path to being a better overall drummer. I want to be able to groove one day, and I want to have an image that portrays that.
I have been playing with some ideas for a stage name and logo today. I am going to slap those ideas around for a while then post them for comments

No comments:

Post a Comment