Thursday 5 January 2012

Song Choices

I have been ripping my CD's to MP3 lately in order to have them available on my MP3 player (which is also my blackberry). All my old inspirational albums - Stevie Ray Vaughan, Kim Mitchell, Sting, Pink Floyd, Rush (of course) and plenty of others.
I need to pick a list of tunes to practice that will force me to work on the elements of drumming necessary for me to reach my goal. I am not sure exactly what my goal is yet, but practicing some tunes and writing this all down will help my inner voice speak to me. Maybe together we'll find a goal to reach. It really is more than one goal. I need to work on stick twirling and throwing for visual effects, an image and drumming technique.
Image is another topic I will get to later, but I am starting to think about what to wear on stage and branding. I may never be playing for an 'A' list band (no kidding, I'm too old), but I want to start branding my image - as an exercise in becoming a full package drummer. Terry Bozio, John Bonham are examples off the top of my head that branded themselves. Each in a different way. And not just drumming styles, Terry had a look and John had an appeal. The best drummers technically are not always the most recognized. And sometimes the most popular drummers are not at the top of the technical food chain. Ringo Starr and Charlie Watt come to mind. They backed up great musicians and were very proficient themselves, but they didn't make me want to be like them. Peter Stanley with KISS had a great look, but he's not mentioned in Drumming circles as an 'inspiration'. Again, very good drummer but doesn't make a drummers ear perk up like Buddy Rich or Dave Weckl. Neither Buddy nor Dave had a visual appeal, but they stand out on their own technical merits.
So getting back to my point, name a drummer that has brilliant technique and great visual appeal during performance. It will come to me (in a dream). Neil, I suppose is an example. He is always twirling and throwing sticks, but he also has a large drum kit that is dressed up with graphics and his hands are moving around the kit a lot. I say that with some bias because I have followed Neil more than any other drummer.
I would like you, the reader to provide your favourite all-around drummer. Here's to good drummers.

No comments:

Post a Comment